Now is the time to head for the garden or local Farmer’s Market to get your supply of fresh beans.
20 cups fresh yellow beans ~ cut into 1” lengths
3 cups sugar
½ cup dry mustard
1 Tbsp celery seed
1 tsp turmeric
3 cups white vinegar
½ cup flour
Mix 1 cup vinegar and ½ cup flour into a paste - set aside.
Mix remaining vinegar, sugar, mustard, celery seed and turmeric in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and slowly add vinegar flour mixture. Bring mixture to a slow boil until thick. Stir often.
Drain beans and add the thickened mixture. Fold in; making sure all of the beans are coated well.
Place in glass jars and seal. Store jars in a cool place.
- Recipe can be halved or quartered depending on your needs.
- Green beans can be used or a mix of yellow and green.
- Serve with any kind of meat or poultry.
- Use in sandwiches or as a side dish.
- Makes a great addition to a small gift basket you might give to a friend.
- Mom never processed the jars after filling them. She sealed them and as they cooled you would hear the pop, pop of the lids.
- Download a FREE pdf version of the recipe.
Author, Photographer, Lover of Life